Tuesday, March 23, 2010
For most of Grace's life, she has been lovingly referred to as The Screamer. Here's a short list of the things that, in the past, would make Grace scream.
1. Being hungry (an obvious one)
3. Being full
4. Every time we changed her diaper
5. Every time we left her diaper on
6. Every time we changed her clothes
7. Every time we left her clothes on
8. Every time we took her temperature (which was every three hours in the NICU)
9. Every time she took a bath
And, oh, yeah, every time she was awake. And sometimes when she was asleep.
When I say screaming, I mean, "SOMEONE IS PULLING MY FINGERNAILS OUT ONE AT A TIME AND SCRATCHING MY EYEBALLS WITH THEM," kind of screaming.
She was one ticked off little girl. But in the last week or so, something has changed. She doesn't scream quite as often and she has waking moments where she is content with life. She still cries when she's hungry, occasionally at bath time and when you put ANY piece of clothing over her head.
But other than that, she has really mellowed. She will look at you and just coo and move her eyebrows up and down. She's even started smiling. And not just the full belly kind of smile. You smile at her and most of the time, she'll smile back.
Except when she doesn't.
Posted by Katie at 9:39 PM